Saturday, October 9, 2010

Update: Language In-Service Training

We just finished a week here in the PC  Transit House doing intensive language training where we were able to get a lot of questions answered about all the words villagers have been saying to us for a month and we didn’t understand. So we are excited to get back to Kongodugu (our village) and impress everyone with how intelligent we’ve become in just 1 week :)  We will be back at the Transit house the first week of November, so until then, here’s a quick video to keep you entertained until we return ;) This is a balophone (wooden xylophone) party in our village that we attended during the celebration of the end of Ramadan. Enjoy!

~Joye (and Jim)

6 comments:

  1. Is this the celebration that went on to 4:00 am outside your window?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "all the words villagers have been saying to us for a month and we didn’t understand," hahaha, nice. I suppose I've quite lucky, then, living with a dictionary and a host family that understands a little English.

    It's great hearing about your accomplishments and experiences thus far! Also, I started a blog but I still have a backlog of entries to post :P

    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colorful clothes. Would have liked to see you and Joye longer. Much better picture than Skype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I love the looks some of the people gave you. Looks like it was fun, especially if it went til 4am!!!
    Ric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim and Joy,

    I have to say its pretty hardcore of you two to have gone to Mali, keep up the good work. I know you've been there awhile, don't get discouraged by the challenged of working in a developing country. I understand to a point, I worked in water and sanitation in Malawi over the last summer. When it got rough I just looked at the beauty of the continent and thanked God I had the chance to help people and make a difference.

    Stay safe and best wishes,
    Evan Griffiths

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jim and Joye! I woke up this morning thinking about you and what I could put in a care package. Glad to see you have a list of desired items! I very much enjoy your blogs - loved the MargaritaVille spinoff and the village dancing. It reminded me much of our stay in Elim Mission, SA! Blessings, peace, and may Gorilla-pede stay out of your house! Loveya! Lani

    ReplyDelete